Raspberry Pi Power supply for KiwiSDR ?

Ulli
Has anyone tried the original Raspberry Pi Powersupply for the Kiwi-SDR ? It is specified 5.1V/3A (15W), which should work with the kiwisdr...
The question is, if it is quit enough not to damage the noise floor....

At least using it to power the Pi-computer connected via Ethernet directly to the kiwi doesn't harm at all, I found out... so perhaps it is a possible solution for the kiwi rx itself as well ?

Wonder if you have some experience.

Ulli, ON5KQ
Rob

Re: Raspberry Pi Power supply for KiwiSDR ?

Rob
I have no experience with using the Pi's SWPSU.
PSUs for Pis and Kiwis in WD system deserves a whole discussion thread.
At KFS and AI6VN/KH6 is use standard 12VDC SWPSUs to a 1 MHz SWPSU which converts 12 VDC to 5VDC for the Kiwis and Pis:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RVG34WR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The 1 Mhz RFI they generate is < -90 dBm when the Kiwi is connected to the antenna, and higher harmonics are below the noise level.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 8:32 AM Ulli [via wsprdaemon] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone tried the original Raspberry Pi Powersupply for the Kiwi-SDR ? It is specified 5.1V/3A (15W), which should work with the kiwisdr...
The question is, if it is quit enough not to damage the noise floor....

At least using it to power the Pi-computer connected via Ethernet directly to the kiwi doesn't harm at all, I found out... so perhaps it is a possible solution for the kiwi rx itself as well ?

Wonder if you have some experience.

Ulli, ON5KQ

http://wsprdaemon.224604.n8.nabble.com/Raspberry-Pi-Power-supply-for-KiwiSDR-tp217.html
To start a new topic under wsprdaemon, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from wsprdaemon, click here.
NAML

--
Rob Robinett
AI6VN
mobile: +1 650 218 8896

Re: Raspberry Pi Power supply for KiwiSDR ?

Powernumpty
This post was updated on .
Ive run the Kiwi from PI3 and PI4 power supplies, they are good.

I cut the cables about 40-50cm back from the connector and fit XT-30 connectors (female on the PSU - like on lipo batteries) then there is enough cable to wrap a few turns through a Ferrite clip on.
I try to stick to just 5V supplies with the XT-30's as then I feel safe to just connect them anywhere knowing the supply with one fitted is 5V, one of my dislikes of barrel connectors is that in this house I have 3.3V to 56V supplies on that type.

Currently two of the Kiwi's running here are on PI 3 genuine Stontronics supplies.

The Pi4 supplies have a coaxial cable like laptops, they are slightly harder to trim neatly for the XT-30.

I then of course have a range of jumpers so I can connect Micro-USB, Barrel, or USB-C to any 5V supply (linear or switch) in the house.

I too use the little MP1584EN DC-DC, amazing for the cost. Better than the larger 3A type, my only dislike is how coarse the trimmer is and that it could creep over time, maybe a resistive divider in place would be better. They do sell them locked to voltage but 5V ones are 5V whereas Kiwi's like a bit more.
Stu