Overvoltage protection for Kiwi-rx

Ulli
As I am rebuilding my wd-receivers, I was wondering, what can be done to prevent a catastrophic failure to the kiwi's in case the power supply has a problem and outputs the full unregulated voltage to the kiwi.

In my case I am planning to use the little buck-converters (which Rob once mentioned) to convert a 12V DC voltage down to the required 5V for the kiwi.

I wonder what happens, if these small Chinese boards break and the 12V will reach directly the kiwi-rx.

Is there any easy protection at the input of the kiwi power-in connection one can do, to prevent such catastrophic overvoltage failure ? Any ideas ?

There are many suggestions on the Internet, from a simple zener diode to sophisticated circuitry. But in case of a single running Kiwi-receiver, what is most appropriate and will keep the kiwi-rx safe in case the chinese Buck-converter boards will break causing overvoltage?

regards,
Ulli, ON5KQ

Re: Overvoltage protection for Kiwi-rx

n6gn
Ulli
I believe that the power management circuits of the BB can handle 12 VDC. They should shut down but nothing bad should happen, as far as I know.  In fact they can probably stand quite a bit more than this.  I think the TPS65217 power management IC can tolerate up to 20VDC.

I'm also pretty certain I have put > 12VDC on a KiwiSDR in the past with no ill effects. I think some searching will confirm this but I haven't yet done that.
Glenn n6gn