ON5KQ reconstruction

Ulli
Just to let you know:
I am currentlty rebuilding my rx-wsprdaemon system. It will be relocated from the main shack to a seperate place in the garage, as it is fully remote anyway and takes too much space in the shack...

While I build the new infrastructure (many cabling to do), I switched on the transmitter in WSPR mode.
I am running 5wtts output
Antenna is my big 40m beam - 8ele vertical circular array on a large radial network of 8km copper wire...
The beam is switchable for every 45degree of azimut. At our European afternoon, I will keep the beam to long-pass W6/W7 direction over the Indian ocean. In the past I worked a lot of stations from western USA on 40m with this beam.
It is still a bit early in the year, but I remember with good condition it is possible from October.

Remember we use very efficient WSPR and my contacts on 40m used to be in SSB - even sometimes with 100wtts only!

Later in the evening, when it gets dark here in Europe, I will switch the beam to Asia and from 21h...22h utc, I will switch it to Northwest for during the night. During normal daylight hours, I will switch it mostly to east until in the afternoon, when I start trying for longpass western USA over the indian Ocean.

I wonder if sometime later in the year, kfs can hear me on 40m via longpass...  finger crossed!

In the meantime, I will build my new rx wspr station for over the winter...

Great work at kfs... great pleasure to listen there...

Ulli, ON5KQ

P.S: There is an old picture on my qrz.com page from the beam (scroll down) - also there are some old youtube videos, showing the performance of the beam (F/B ratio) during italian ARI contest... I recently rebuild the elements and retuned my old feed network with my 4stroke scope to control phase and magnitude of element currents...

Re: ON5KQ reconstruction - and transmitter info

Ulli
Oh yes,
... and in between the transmitting periods the transceiver will listen with the transmit antenna to spot with wsjtx Vers 2.2.2. on the PC.
Transceiver is an old FT-1000MP at 5wtts output (measured with R&S URV5 and thermal head)

Ulli, ON5KQ