Grafana tutorial

Ulli
Hi Gwyn, excellent that you take all the work to write a tutorial for the database and Grafana...
I am actually working trough the Grafana tutorial, but unfortunately I found some diffulties:

- Setting up the database you mentioned to choose postgre version 11 - I only found v10 in the drop-down - so I choose that - perhaps a typo ?

- the first example with "kph hears N5CNB": For that first Query the The Metric column should be set to "tx_id"... however I get a red alert saying: Coloumn tx_id does not exist....

Now I am stuck.... what to do ? The flow to work through the tutorial is broken...

Ulli, ON5KQ

Re: Grafana tutorial

Ulli
Using in the Metric column "tx_call" instead of "tx_id" at least gave me some query results. Although I did a different search, as KPH is currently offline.
However it takes extremely long for this simple query!!!  2min waiting is normal ????

Ulli, ON5KQ

Re: Grafana tutorial

Gwyn
Administrator
Hello Ulli
Thank you for your kind comments on the documentation. I found Grafana a little tricky in places and had to look in many places for the information that I thought a guide was needed if wsprdaemon users were to make their own dashboards.

Thank you for spotting two errors, I have corrected them.

I have found the pull down selection graphs do take quite some time to appear, especially if asking for say 7 days to look at trends.

best wishes
Gwyn G3ZIL

Re: Grafana tutorial

Ulli
How can one connect to the data of the spots really ?
When I try to select any received wspr signal from anyone (tx_call) to check their SNR at my receiver (rx_id=on5kq) it says in red alert: "pq: column "on5kq" does not exist"

when I try to search for my call (Expr: rx-id=....) in the drop down menu.... only the first couple of calls are shown... it stops with DK4RW/1... all other calls further down the alphabet (sorted by alphabet) are not shown ...

What is wrong...

Re: Grafana tutorial

Gwyn
Administrator
Hello Ulli
Because callsigns are in upper case then postgreSQL needs them to be in single quotes, see bottom of page 3 of the guide, for example, where it says:
"Click on the first value and select rx_id (may not always 'take', if so try selecting again, if still nothing, type in 'KPH', the single quotes are needed)."

It is these small matters of detail that made me write the guide, as it it really is not obvious, so try typing 'ON5KQ'
single quotes and upper case.
Without the single quotes it tried to find lower case on5kq and of course there isn't one, just ON5KQ.

One does get used to it in time ...

Gwyn G3ZIL

Re: Grafana tutorial

Ulli
it seems that the query has to select from "wsprdaemon_spots" instead from "spots"...

Re: Grafana tutorial

Gwyn
Administrator
Only use wsprdaemon_spots if you are sure that the receiver(s) you want to look at are wsprdaemon v2.9 users, as this is the Table for direct upload.
Everybody will be in the Table spots, as this Table contains data scraped every few minutes from wsprnet.org - but of course that makes it much slower to access data as there are many many more receivers. So it may look as if it is not working with spots, but it should be, just slower.

Gwyn G3ZIL

Re: Grafana tutorial

Ulli
important to say: case sensitive - 'on5kq' don't work... it must be 'ON5KQ'....

Re: Grafana tutorial

Gwyn
Administrator
Yes, with the single quotes.