Forum login and posting problems

Rob

Forum login and posting problems

Rob
I just struggled to post to this forum and eventually found that my login attempts had silently failed when using both Chrome and Safari.

However I was able to login from a Firefox session, after which I had no trouble posting and replying.

Re: Forum login and posting problems

Gwyn G3ZIL
Hi Rob
This reply is via Chrome on a Mac. No trouble to preview or to post.
Gwyn

Re: Forum login and posting problems

cathalferris
I was seeing similar problems with my browsers, but I've resolved the issue.

My browsers are generally very paranoid about scripts and cookies, with particular care for the blocking of Facebook trackers.

The forum is hosted by Nabble, and the login details are stored in a cookie from the Nabble site. However, as the URL is wsprdaemon.org, the browsers look at those cookies and consider them as 3rd-party, and blocking by default.

I just clicked in the URL bar on the cookies notifications icon, selected the "blocked" tab, clicked allow for the nabble.com cookies, and job done, it works fine.
Cathal Ferris (EI4IWB)
Two standard KiwiSDRs listening to 14 bands of WSPR from an outdoor AAA-1d
Rob

Re: Forum login and posting problems

Rob
I cannot find a setting in Chrome which permits me to login.  My symptoms are that I go through the login process and return to the forum page but I am still not logged in.  There is no 'failed to login' dialog.  Chrome says the site is not secure, but changing Chrome settings for the site has not effect.

Safari also doesn't login.

Using Firefox without any configuration changes, I auto-login and can compose this response.
Having to change browsers delays my responses ;=(

Re: Forum login and posting problems

cathalferris
This post was updated on .
The setting I located was not in an intuitive spot.

From the forum page, click the "Not Secure" portion to the left of the URL.
Click Cookies.
Click the "Blocked" tab.
There is likely to be a few Nabble.com cookies listed (my pic doesn't have them as I have already allowed)
Select the nabble.com cookie(s)
Click on "Allow"
Click on "Done"

If there is a cookie pic with a little red X on it to the right of the URL in the address bar, clicking on that should give the same interface.

(apologies for the mouse writing, Snipping Tool at its best:)
OneTwo

Hopefully that makes sense.
-Cathal
Rob

Re: Forum login and posting problems

Rob
Hi Cathar,

Your suggestion makes complete sense, but in my case all the cookies are allowed ;=(
Strangely, my logins are a 'noop' only for Chrome and Safari on my desktop Mac.  I can find nothing in the Mac's Keychain or Chrome's cookies which references either site, but there must be some setting which is blocking my login.

On my Mac laptop I can login from all browsers.

I have an easy work around to use Firefox on my main PC, so I think we all have more productive uses of our time.