Feature request - ignore of a callsign before upload

Feature request - ignore of a callsign before upload

cathalferris
I've got a feature request, to ensure that the wsprdaemon process can be set to ignore a callsign and prevent the uploading of decodes from that callsign.

I see this feature in the WSJT-X interface, where one's own callsign would be ignored on receiving and decoding.

The use case is that I'm hopefully going to be sending WSPR signals using a QRP-Labs Ultimate3S multi-band kit on one antenna, and I now have an RPi4 pulling from two Kiwis with two other antennas and sending the merged decodes upstream. I would like to be able to not have my future WSPR transmissions causing problems given the distances between the send antenna and the two receive antennas will be about 10 metres, so my own transmissions will be a little loud compared to most.

My U3S kit hasn't yet arrived, and I'm not able to transmit anyway until I pass the licensing and have a callsign to use, so it's not that high a priority.

Is this idea possible, and is it difficult to implement sanely? I could probably jury-rig something really dirty here but it would likely be better done properly by people that can actually program!
Cathal Ferris (EI4IWB)
Two standard KiwiSDRs listening to 14 bands of WSPR from an outdoor AAA-1d
Rob

Re: Feature request - ignore of a callsign before upload

Rob
Your feature is possible and rather easy to implement.

However I wonder what benefit eliminating your spot would bring you.  It would not improve reception of other spots during your transmit cycles; that is determined by the peak RF signal level on the SMA input of the Kiwi.  If your Kiwi is not being overloaded by your transmission, then all lower level spots will be detected WD.

WD records the number of overload events during each 2 minute cycle and records that information in the wsprdaemon_noise table along with the rms and c2 noise levels.  Using Grafana, you can graph those overload events to see if/when your Kiwi is being overloaded and I would expect that during such overloaded cycles you would report few if any spots on any band.

So I can put your feature on the TODO list, but I think you might learn less about your rx environment, rather than more, with such a filter in place.

Re: Feature request - ignore of a callsign before upload

cathalferris
Oh, I'm aware that the transmitter nearby will possibly drown out other faint signals on the same band, I know that dropping the decode after the receive is not going to change that - it's not really where I was thinking. I'm not expecting to be overloading the Kiwis if I can, but that remains to be seen once I can legally transmit and test at that point.

It's more that I will already know that I can receive that transmission, and it's of no benefit to either myself or the WSPR project as a whole to have very local very loud spots that are meaningless for stats and other measurements, as it won't have traversed any distance.

Plus, having such a huge SNR number for the self-spots will make a mess of my pretty Grafana graphs, now that I've got those working (slowly) on my Pi4..