Command line updating list of current spots

Command line updating list of current spots

cathalferris
I'm definitely having a brain short circuit here, but anyway:

What's the easiest way to monitor the current wsprdaemon spot activity?

As in, command to run, that will list every one of the current spots that has just been decoded, that will either output to stdout or that could be piped to a file.

I have a use for this just for local monitoring purposes.

I've tried tailing multiple files, but the output is not really what I'm looking for. I might have to try and craft something to collate this info myself, but asking the question to see if anyone else has already done any of the heavy lifting.

Related - which file would be best to monitor changes to, to get the current activity? I don't think that there is one single file with the info, but that the info is spread per decoding thread, so for each receiver being merged and each band being decoded and per each 2 min listening period, there is a new file with the spots?
Cathal Ferris (EI4IWB)
Two standard KiwiSDRs listening to 14 bands of WSPR from an outdoor AAA-1d

Re: Command line updating list of current spots

Gwyn
Administrator
Hello Cathal

I'm not 100% sure this Bash shell script of mine is exactly what you are after, but it may form the basis of a custom solution. I see you use a RPi, you will need gawk installed if you have not got it already, and postgresql as well. Instructions for the latter are in the Guide for Timescale, see the Timescale page on this website.
The script comes pre-configured with a set of options, and you can see the options as below:
Gwyn-2:desktop gxg$ ./wnquery.sh -h
Usage: wnquery -h this message
       You must have gawk and postgreSQL installed to use this utility
       Mandatory parameters
               -b band   (One of: All, 2200, 630, 160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 10, 6, 4, 2, 70, 23)
               -r rx_id  (ID of the receiver whose spots to list.)
               -c count  (Number of lines of spots to output.)
               -f type   (Options are csv mat. Default is csv. Mat file for numeric data only.)
               -o order  (km time rev-time or band. Default is rev-time.)
               -p hours  (Hours of data to read, ending now. Default 1.)
               -u        (Unique calls only.)

 wnquery.sh queries our spots table, which is the data scraped from wsprnet.

You can change the table to search from spots to wsprdaemon_spots if you only want data from wsprdaemon users.

Also there are several examples in our Timescale guide.

best regards
Gwyn G3ZIL

wnquery.sh